Important Tips to Prevent Vaginal Odor and Infections
Developing vaginal infections can be a miserable experience for many women. So, what’s the best way to avoid the chances of a vaginal infection? Well, prevention is certainly the best thing you can do to avoid vaginal infections. Firstly, it is important to note that if you are dealing with a vaginal odor that is not strong or persistent, then it is perfectly normal. Yes, there is nothing to worry about vaginal odors. However, if you notice that the vaginal odor is stronger than normal or seems to be getting stronger, you must make an appointment with your doctor immediately.
Ways to prevent vaginal infections and bad odor issues
Let’s look at some simple ways to prevent vaginal infections and bad odor problems:
Follow good hygiene
Frequent dampness and moisture in the vaginal area can lead to the growth of bacteria and viruses. Besides, it triggers symptoms like rashes, itching, redness, increased discharge, and even bad odor. All these symptoms can further lead to vaginal infections. Therefore, make sure to follow a good hygiene routine and keep your vagina clean and dry. Here are some of the good hygiene tips that you must follow to keep your vagina clean and healthy:
- Bathe your vagina area properly with lukewarm water daily. To get rid of sweat, dirt, and dead skin, you can use a gentle washcloth. For cleaning the outside area, you can use a gentle soap.
- When cleaning the inside, avoid using soap. The area inside the labia is very sensitive. Using soap there can irritate and burn the area. Therefore, to clean the labia around the vagina, use lukewarm water.
- Avoid using perfumed soaps or body washes as these contain harmful chemicals that can upset your vagina’s natural pH.
- Don’t use scrubbers or loofahs as they may cause small tears and expose the area to possible infection.
- Never stay in damp clothes for too long to prevent yeast spread.
- After using the toilet, always wipe the area front to back as doing the other way could raise the chance of increased bacteria growth and transmission.
- Avoid wearing very tight clothes as they can restrict airflow.
- No matter if you are using the best quality cottony soft sanitary pads during periods, make sure to change them regularly in 4 to 5 hours.
- Choose the right undergarment preferably the one made of cotton material. Cotton is a breathable material that can easily absorb and evaporate sweat and fluids from your body.
Maintain a healthy weight
Do you know vaginal odor doesn’t come from the vagina at all? If you are overweight, there are increased chances of getting vaginal infections. How? Well, the accumulation of excessive flesh around the folds and inner thighs can be the breeding ground for harmful bacteria that can cause bad odor and even infection. Therefore, to keep your vagina healthy, you must maintain a healthy weight.
Use protection when having sex
Make sure to use a condom while having sex. It not only protects you from unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases but also eliminates the chances of vaginal infections. The semen can irritate the vagina and produce discharge and smell. Apart from using a condom, make sure to pee after sex. Urinating after sex can help to get rid of all the foreign substances. Avoid using a douche as it can push the foreign substances into the vagina and create more problems.
Consider using pH products
You may also consider using Over-the-counter (OTC) products to restore your vagina’s natural pH. In case the odor remains as it is or grows worse, stops using the product immediately. You may consult a doctor before using a product for the intimate area. It is better to use the pH products prescribed by your doctor.
Time to see a doctor
Most of the time, a vaginal odor accompanied by other vaginal symptoms may require a doctor’s visit. In case you notice any of the below-mentioned symptoms, immediately schedule an appointment with a doctor to avoid any bigger problems.
- Excess discharge
- Severe itching
- Burning sensation
- Irritation or pain
Additionally, if you notice a strong fishy odor, you may have bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis, getting the right treatment becomes very essential. bacterial vaginosis is a vaginal infection whereas trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by a parasite. Your doctor will suggest the best antibiotic treatments based on your condition to stop the spread of infection.
So, these are some of the key ways that can help you to keep your vagina clean and healthy. By following all the intimate hygiene practices and using the right products like soft cotton pads for periods, pH products, etc., you can greatly reduce the chances of vaginal odor and infection. Always buy intimate hygiene-related products from a trusted brand like Wonderize that ensures complete hygiene and comfort. However, if the problem isn’t gone and remains persistent or becomes worse, immediately see a doctor get the right treatment.