How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep When You are on Periods?
For most women, periods come with a lot of discomforts. Sleeping during these days can be very difficult, especially for those who have cramps. Besides, many worry about leakage issues while sleeping. If you are facing the same issue, then you need not worry anymore. In this blog, we have come up with a few comfortable sleeping positions that can help you get a more relaxed and comfy sleeping experience during periods.
Reasons why periods affect sleep
Before we get to know about the ways to get relaxed sleep during sleep, let’s find out the reasons why periods affect our sleep. Well, as per the National Sleep Foundation, cramps are one of the key reasons behind most women reporting worse sleep during and just before getting their periods. Other reasons that affect sleep during periods include headaches, nausea or diarrhea, tender breasts, depression or anxiety, etc. All these reasons can keep you uncomfortable and awake all night. Apart from these physical symptoms, a few hormonal changes during periods can also affect your sleep.
Now, let’s talk about the most comfortable sleeping positions to relieve menstrual cramps and get the best sleep during periods.
Types of sleeping positions for comfortable sleep during periods
First of all, create an ambiance that can help you fall asleep quickly. Try sleeping in any of the below-mentioned sleeping positions for a peaceful sleep:
- Fetal position: Try sleeping just like a fetus in the womb. Get all curled up when you sleep. This position will help your abdominal muscles to get relaxed. When your muscles are relaxed, you will get much-needed relief from period cramps. Sleeping in a fetal position will also prevent the chances of leakage.
- Keep a pillow under your knees: Another comfortable position to try during periods is keeping a pillow under the knees. We sometimes keep a pillow (even when not in periods) under our knees to support our body and get relaxed. Right? If not, then try this position, it will surely help you feel more relaxed. Take a pillow that is not too high. Simply lie down on your back and adjust the pillow under your knees. Keep your legs straight for proper blood flow. You can also try sleeping on your side and then keeping a pillow in between your knees. Just make sure to keep your spine straight and use a good pillow for perfect head and neck support. In a few minutes, you will feel that your muscles are relaxed and you are at ease.
- Sleep on your back: Most women face backache issues while on periods. To relieve this pain, you can try sleeping on your back. You can keep a heating pad on your back and lie down straight for some time. When you feel that your muscles are relaxed now, remove the pad.
- Try the child pose: Sleeping in the child pose is another best way to get a sound sleep during periods. This is a great yoga pose that helps to relieve your muscles. If you face the issue of frequent headaches during periods, you should definitely try this sleeping position. This position also helps to bring sleep by making your body, as well as, your mind relaxed. You will get an amazing feel and relaxation within a few minutes of sleeping in a child pose. Just try it once.
Other important tips to get a comfortable sleep
Apart from trying the above-mentioned sleeping positions, you can also try these tips to enjoy a sound sleep during periods, have a look:
- Take bath: Before you actually get into bed, it is advisable to take some time for a little self-care. Taking a bath before getting into bed can help relieve cramps and make you feel much better.
- Sleep at a comfortable temperature: You must keep your bedroom at a comfortable temperature to get your body relaxed and feel at ease.
- Use comfortable pillows: Always use some good quality comfortable pillows/body pillows for the best support. It will help you to get a nice sleep.
- Use a good-quality heating pad: If you are using a heating pad, make sure to invest in a good-quality product that assures a safe and comfortable experience.
- Wear Wonderize ultra-dry sanitary pads: Always invest in good quality sanitary products. Wonderize offers the best range of sanitary pads that are designed according to Indian weather to assure the best comfort and protect against leakage. You can also try Wonderize overnight period panties, comfort sanitary pads to get a worry-free and rash-free experience.
- Do regular exercise: Physical activity is one of the best and most natural ways to induce sleep. Choose the activity that you like such as yoga, running, dancing, swimming, or any other activity that can help your body get relaxed.
- Have a good diet: Always eat a good and balanced diet. Many women face issues like diarrhea, nausea, or indigestion during periods. To avoid these issues, it is always better to avoid eating large meals close to bedtime.
Try out the above-mentioned sleeping positions and tips to get a more relaxed and comfortable sleep during your next periods.